Sunday, September 17, 2006

Dilemma of the Day

Is it ok for me to do Garden work at the local shrine. Here is why I ask. In Japanese small towns they generally don’t have grounds crews, street sweepers and things like that which we take for granted in the states. So every couple of months my neighborhood meets to clean the streets and other public areas in our neighborhood.

In the past I haven’t made it to this exciting morning of fun because I didn’t know when it was. But it is a good way to get to know the neighbors so I have wanted to go. I found out it was this morning so I got up, went outside, and started working. Well I found myself in the group responsible for cleaning the local shrine. So I helped. But I must admit, it was a bit strange. But I am pretty sure I did the right thing.

Anyway, overall it was a good time with the neighbors. They all greeted me warmly and warned me about the typhoon coming this afternoon. With lots of fun gesturing I must add. And I am actually looking forward to next time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good choice to help out with the shrine duties.

Even though the church in Japan, might have you completely separated from anything to with Shrines, you need to establish rapport and belongingness in the community. Who knows, perhaps you could use that as an example someday. You have a universal acceptance of the idea of spiritual purity. This acceptance will translate into a more open ear for your words on peace and love.

Keep up the good work Robert!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say "yes" it's okay

~Beka

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home